On last night’s Suze Orman Show, Suze gave a top ten list of things to do for 2008:
Suze’s Top Ten List for 2008
- Try to get out of credit card debt.
- Begin a 6-8 month emergency fund
- Sign up for your 401(k) to the point of the match, then fund a Roth IRA
- Look for the best buy on a home. Purchase only if you have enough for a 10%-20% down payment and qualify for a 30-15 year fixed mortgage.
- Never loan money or co-sign for someone
- Annuities – single premium deferred annuity is ok, but never buy variable annuities within a retirement account
- Buy individual bonds, not bond funds
- Get a will and a living revocable trust
- Get term life insurance only
- Buy no-load mutual funds only.
I’m pretty good on most of these, but not all of them, and it’s a good goal to work towards. I do still rent my home, but mainly because I’m not sure that I plan to stay in this area long term. I’m giving myself 2 years, and then I’ll make a decision. The other thing that I absolutely need to do this year is set up a will. I really should have done this years ago, but like so many people, I don’t like to think about it. My uncle is an estate lawyer and would do it for me, but I only see him on holidays, and well, at Christmas, the last thing I want to think about is my demise.
So that is my goal from this list. How about you?