Thanks to everyone for your comments on what I should charge my roommate. Lots of things to consider there, and I appreciate any more advice that may come in. I think part of the reasons for my struggle is that I feel like I’m forcing this move on her. Sure, she doesn’t have to come along, but she can’t afford the apartment by herself, and I think it would be quite rude of me to just say “Okay, I’m leaving, find someone else to live with.” When I signed the lease with her, this wasn’t in the picture, and I feel like in a way, I wasn’t only committing to the apartment complex (a commitment I’m happy to break), but I was committing to her that I would be there and paying my share of the rent.
Man, I make this sound like a relationship, don’t I?
Either way, typically when you get a roommate, it’s “Hey, want to come live here? It will cost you $X.” The potential roommate can make the decision based on the place and the cost. Here the decision is made and she doesn’t know the cost yet. I’ve decided to broach the subject with her in more detail once the closing has occurred and she’s actually seen the place.
In other news, everything is still up in the air! Hooray! (note the sarcasm) Anyone who knows me knows that I like to make plans. I like to make decisions. I am not good with things up in the air. Some people said that I made my decision on my house quickly, but that’s how I roll. What people don’t realize is that I had done a lot of decision making before the house hunting process started. I knew exactly what I wanted. And when I found it, I just knew. So the fact that I still don’t know whether or not we’re closing next Friday is driving me crazy.
We’re doing the re-inspection on Monday morning, so hopefully I will have a final answer then. I have been planning as if the move is going to occur. I have movers scheduled for a date in March. I have filled out all the required mortgage paperwork. I have transferred funds from my ING account to my local bank account (since I can’t get a certified check or do a wire transfer from ING). I have pre-paid my first year of homeowners insurance as required my the mortgage company (it is fully refundable if the sale falls through).
But now I wait. And I hate waiting.
Love Counting My Pennies?
Sign up to get our latest content by email.