You want to do some house repairs but you want to save money at the same time? Unfortunately, there are some things which should be left to the pro’s especially if scaffolding is required! Fortunately, the team at Fast Florida House Sale have done an investigation into how much things cost to fix and have a few solutions to help you save money.
Keep it simple in the Kitchen
If you were to take the average cost of a kitchen remodel, then you are looking at $20,000. That’s right $20,000 for a group of carpenters to enter your home work on your kitchen installation.
Unfortunately this is not always a cost-effective solution for those looking to save money. However these simple tips can help.
- Check your cabinets; if they’re good enough, then you don’t need to change them. A good wipe down and clear out of anything that is non-essential is a good starting point.
- You can do a lot with new doors; if you can get your hands on new doors, then this keeps the budget and the changes to a minimum but with maximum effect.
- Handles are also a cheap solution; if you can’t consider new handles and give your old doors a bit of treatment. It could be a simple clean up or a paint job. Both would be good enough to get the ball rolling for a new looking kitchen in no time.
- Be clever with your worksurfaces; by keeping your worksurfaces clean, you can get the impression of a larger living area. But if you need new ones, stretching your budget to high quality worksurfaces can make the world of difference.
Decorate for maximum effect
The investigation showed that decorating your home can be one of the more cost effective solutions to getting your house fixed whilst also providing the needed new look you’ve been dreaming of.
With an average cost of just $1,600, you could achieve a lot in your home on a small budget but, you could reduce that cost even more with a few simple tips.
- Call in those favours; if you have friends and family that can lend a hand, and that owe you a favour, then you could count them in to help save on labour costs.
- Choose simple colours; the difference in cost between a simple paint to a more complicated brand or tone can be staggering. Light airy colours are on average cheaper by up to 20% on the more commercial brands. Pick wisely as this will have a bearing on costs over the course of the project.
- Don’t overspend on materials; one of the big overspends is on, materials. From paint brushes to rollers and trays, it’s amazing the money that gets wasted here. Ask neighbours or friends if they have any materials that you could borrow – but make sure you return them the way you found them!
- Simple fixes work best; one of those simple fixes is painting the skirting board in high gloss white. Two coats and it’s amazing you can frame off your rooms.
When it comes to fixing your house, you want to group together the essential costs and the non-essentials, this is important because it will affect your budget and how to save in areas that do or don’t need saving in.
Remember, one of the key things to saving money is about being prepared to invest in the right areas at the right time for you and your home. Anything you spend today will make a return in the future such as good quality kitchen doors or a few dollars more on good paint, but of course not overpaying for materials that you don’t need.
Love Counting My Pennies?
Sign up to get our latest content by email.